Hong Kong Life Sciences Society (the “Society”) is committed to ensuring that our policies and practices, and those adopted by our affiliated organizations or business partners in relation to the collection, use, retention, disclosure, transfer, security and access of your personal data comply with the requirements under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Chapter 486) (the “Ordinance”) under the laws of Hong Kong, as well as the relevant code of practice and guidance issued by the Office of the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data, Hong Kong. The meaning of the term “personal data” adopted in this Statement is defined in the Ordinance.
Where our operations are subject to privacy legislation other than that of Hong Kong (such as due to our carrying out of operational functions outside of Hong Kong), this Statement shall apply so far as it is consistent with such local legislation.
To this end, this Society undertakes to:
- collect adequate, but not excessive, personal data by lawful and fair means only for lawful purposes related to the functions or activities of this Society;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that the personal data collected or retained are accurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are to be used;
- erase personal data which are no longer necessary for the purposes for which they are to be used;
- use the personal data collected only for purposes or directly related purposes for which the data were to be used at the time of collection, unless the individual concerned has given express consent for a change of use or such use is permitted by law;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that personal data are protected against unauthorized or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that a person can be informed of the kinds of personal data that the department holds and the purposes for which the data are to be used; and
- permit persons to access and correct personal data of which they are the data subjects and process any such access/correction requests in a manner permitted or required by law.
Statistics on visitors to our websites
When you visit this website, we will record your visit only as a “hit”. The webserver makes a record of your visit that includes your IP addresses (and domain names), the types and configurations of browsers, language settings, geo-locations, operating systems, previous sites visited, and time/duration and the pages visited (webserver access log).
The Society uses the webserver access log for the purpose of maintaining and improving this website such as to determine the optimal screen resolution, or which pages have been most frequently visited. The Society uses such data only for this website enhancement and optimization.
The Society does not use, and has no intention of using, the visitor data to personally identify anyone.
This website is developed and maintained by third-party service providers. All the service providers are bound by their contractual obligation to keep confidential any data they come into contact with against unauthorized access, use and retention.
Data Collection for Direct Marketing
The information collected from you will be used to keep you informed about activities and events organized by or taking place at the Society and news about the Society.
The Society may use your personal data (including name, gender, telephone number, location, postal address, e-mail address, and month and year of birth) for marketing the Society’s events and/or services relating to the Society, our affiliated organizations and business partners. We may dispatch to you the promotional information via direct marketing telephone calls, e-mails, e-messages and direct mailings etc.
You have the right to request access to and correction of information about you held by us. If you wish to access or correct your personal data held by us, you may do so by contacting us by e-mail at email@example.com, or by post to "Hong Kong Life Sciences Society, Room 1201-2, Hong Kong Trade Centre, 161 Des Voeux Road C., Central, Hong Kong."
If you do not wish to receive information from the Society for the aforementioned purposes, you may do so by contacting us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by post to "Hong Kong Life Sciences Society, Room 1201-2, Hong Kong Trade Centre, 161 Des Voeux Road C., Central, Hong Kong."